President Daniel W. Johnson
Dr. Daniel W. Johnson was named the third full-time president of Wisconsin Lutheran College (WLC) in 2008. A lifelong educator, Dr. Johnson understands the importance of a quality, Christ-centered education. Prior to joining WLC, he served in a number of K-12 educational settings as an educator and administrator in schools throughout the nation including in Nebraska, Florida, Wisconsin, and Arizona.
Dr. Johnson holds a bachelor's degree in education from Dr. Martin Luther College, New Ulm, Minnesota, and a master's degree in curriculum and instruction from National-Louis University in Chicago, Illinois. He earned his doctorate in educational leadership from Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Dr. Johnson joined Wisconsin Lutheran College in October 2008. Despite a significant economic recession, God has richly blessed his efforts and those of WLC’s leaders, faculty, and staff. During his tenure, Wisconsin Lutheran College has:
- Increased its student enrollment more than 60% (708 students in 2008 vs. 1,192 students in 2014),
- Secured a $5.5M gift to build a parking center (construction scheduled to begin Spring 2015),
- Secured a $1M gift to launch the College of Adult and Graduate Studies,
- Added nearly a dozen undergraduate and graduate academic programs to attract a growing student body,
- Received a $5.1M gift in naming Generac Hall and a $1M pledged lead gift for WLC's Outdoor Athletic Center,
- Completed construction on a six-story residence hall that provides additional student housing, classrooms, and parking (Fall 2014),
- Negotiated with the State of Wisconsin to develop an enhanced entrance and additional land and parking at WLC's Outdoor Athletic Center,
- Launched a Center for Christian Leadership, enriching WLC's active Christian learning community through a Christian leadership certificate program and speakers series, and
- Developed a new institutional strategic plan, Vision 2020, to guide the academic and operational efforts of the college through the end of the decade.
Dr. Johnson was elected by his presidential colleagues to the Executive Committee of the Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (WAICU) and serves as the president of the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC).
Dr. Johnson is honored to lead a special mission and ministry within the higher education landscape, one that offers academic excellence rooted in Christ, promotes spiritual growth, and prepares men and women for lives of Christian leadership as they embark upon 21st century careers and influence their families, churches, communities, and workplaces.