Loan Options

The Office of Financial Aid at Wisconsin Lutheran College guides students and parents through the loan application process.

We encourage students and parents to discuss and create a plan for college tuition payments. Examine your estimated out-of-pocket costs and consider taking advantage of our payment plans. Although loans should not be a family’s first option to pay for school, many students may need to borrow to pay a portion of their education costs.


  • If loans are needed, consider federal loans first. They often provide better benefits.
  • Students can borrow Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans on their own.
  • More information on Direct Loans is available at
  • If other loans are needed, a dependent student will usually need the help of a parent or a cosigner.

Printable Loan Information Resource (PDF)

Loan Simulator

The federal government created a loan simulator, helping you calculate student loan payments and choose a loan repayment option that meets your needs and goals. 

Access the Loan Simulator

Explore loans that meet your needs

Federal Direct Loan for Students

Your FAFSA determines the type and amount of Direct Loan that you can borrow: subsidized, unsubsidized, or a combination of both.


Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents

The Direct PLUS Loan enables parents to borrow funds to pay the educational expenses of each child who is a dependent undergraduate enrolled at least half time.


Our unique PLUS Partner Program is one way we meet our commitment to reducing financial barriers in your student's pursuit of a WLC education. We will pay a designated amount of the charged interest on your PLUS Loan for a maximum of four years while your son or daughter is enrolled at Wisconsin Lutheran College. 


Private Education Loans

Private loans are specific consumer loans in the student’s or the parent’s name offered by lenders to help pay educational expenses. These need to be researched carefully as the terms and conditions are not standard and vary by lender.


Mandated counseling for federal loans

Entrance Counseling

Entrance counseling is required of all first time student borrowers. If you are borrowing federal loans for the first time at WLC, you must complete this session before your loan funds can be disbursed.

  1. Go to
  2. Log in with your FSA ID
  3. Go to I'm Preparing for School or I'm in School
  4. Complete Entrance Counseling

Exit Counseling

Exit counseling is a federal requirement before you withdraw, graduate, or drop below half-time attendance (even if you are planning to transfer to another school). The session includes information on repayment options for your federal loans and will take about 30 minutes to complete. 

  1. Go to
  2. Log in with your FSA ID
  3. Go to I'm in School
  4. Complete Exit Counseling
Questions? Contact the Office of Financial Aid by phone at 414.443.8856 or via email.