Theatre Scholarship Information
The theatre scholarship consists of $1,000 given each year for an equivalent value of $4,000 over four years. Scholarships are offered to incoming students - freshmen and transfers - and may be in addition to other academic scholarships offered by the college. Recipients may not, however, receive an additional scholarship in art or music.
Scholarship application deadline is FEBRUARY 23, 2013.
All scholarships are perpetual and automatically renewable, provided the recipient fulfills the following:
- Maintains a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50.
- Exhibits a constructive attitude and active participation in the advancement and quality of the activities of the theatre program including, but not limited to, modeling a mature Christian character and servant leadership.
- And either:
a. Participates as a member of the cast, production staff, or crew for one WLC Theatre mainstage production each semester,
b. Or leads a specific project beneficial to the activities of the theatre program - upon approval of the faculty.
- Please read all supporting materials prior to completing the application form.
- Complete the application form.
- Save it to your hard drive using your first name and last name as the file name.
- Email the saved file to email@example.com
- Print it out and mail a hard copy to
Wisconsin Lutheran College
Attn: Prof. Jay Sierszyn
8800 W. Bluemound Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
- Distribute (via pdf, link, or hard copy) the Recommendation Form to two teachers/directors with return instructions as listed above.
NOTE: Teachers/directors are to return forms DIRECTLY TO WLC, not to you. If they wish to share their recommendations with you, that is their privilege.
- Schedule an audition/interview to occur on or before February 23, 2013.
- Contact Prof. Jay Sierszyn via email or 414.443.8700 with any questions.
Eligibility and Selection
- Scholarship applicants must be accepted for admission to WLC at the time of the audition/interview.
- Scholarships are awarded to freshmen and/or transfer students beginning in fall semester.
- Scholarships primarily are awarded to students who intend to pursue an academic program as a Theatre major or minor (Theatre, Theatre Education).
- Scholarships occasionally are awarded to students who do not intend to pursue a major or minor in Theatre but who can commit, as a priority, to significant participation in the production aspects of the department.
Interview and/or Audition
- It is expected that all applicants within a reasonable travel distance to WLC interview on campus on or before February 23, 2013.
- A specific "Theatre Scholarship Day" is scheduled for the morning of Saturday, February 23, 2013, in the college's Raabe Theatre in the Center for Arts and Performance. Applicants should reserve a 20-minute slot and plan to arrive prior to the slot; allow for the possibility of running late. Students also may schedule auditions with the WLC Music Department on that day.
- Applicants may arrange for an on-campus audition/interview any time before February 23, 2013, provided the faculty is available.
- Alternative means of completing the audition/interview process may be arranged via telephone, video file, Skype, etc. (for those unable to travel to Milwaukee), but it is the preference of the department for the audition/interview to be on campus. Again, the deadline is February 23, 2013.
- Upon receipt of the application form, the department will contact the applicant and offer support and guidance in the preparation of the audition and/or interview.
- Acting auditions consist of the performance of two short, contrasting, memorized monologues from published plays. The total time should be 2-4 minutes (no longer, please). The interview will follow.
- Non-actors present a "portfolio" of their work in presenting theatre. This many consist of photos, drawings, paperwork, etc. to best display the achievements of the applicant.