Skip navigation

Youth Options

The Youth Options program at Wisconsin Lutheran College offers public high school juniors and seniors, who meet certain requirements, the opportunity to take college level courses.

  • The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) provides the funds for the Youth Options program. Based on individual high school requirements, courses may count toward high school graduation and college credit.

    Students must be approved by their school district and by Wisconsin Lutheran College to enroll in courses. To apply for the Youth Options program, students must complete the following checklist:

    Application Checklist

    1. WLC Application for Special Admission
    2. DPI Youth Options Application (PI-8700A) (Public School Students Only)
    3. Submit high school transcripts to WLC
    4. Submit ACT/SAT score (if taken)

    WLC Youth Options Contact:

    Rachel Vonderheide
    Senior Admissions Counselor

    Wisconsin DPI Youth Options Website


    What is the Youth Options Program?

    The program is an opportunity for students in grades 11 and 12 currently enrolled in a Wisconsin public high school to attend a Wisconsin postsecondary institution for the purpose of taking one or more courses for high school and college credit.

    How does a student access the Youth Options Program?

    Students interested in participating in the program should talk with staff at the high school and the postsecondary institution and decide on an appropriate course or courses. By March 1 for the fall semester, and October 1 for the spring semester, the student must notify the school board of their intent to participate in the program. This is accomplished by completing the PI-8700A (Program Plan and Report form) and submitting it to the school district by the deadline date. The student should list all courses and alternate courses he or she might take.

    After receiving approval from the school district, students must also apply to the postsecondary institution and comply with all of the institution's admissions standards and application deadlines. In the event that space is not available at a postsecondary institution or a student's preferred course(s) cannot be conveniently scheduled, the student is encouraged to list three alternate course selections on the back side of the PI 8700A form so that the school board is able to determine the appropriateness or acceptability of the alternate course(s) when they review primary choices on the front of the form.

    Who pays for the tuition, books, and fees?

    The school board must pay for:

    • Any course taken for both high school and college credit that is not comparable to a course offered in the school district.
    • For private, tribal and the UW-System courses: the cost of books, fees and materials required for the courses that will not become the property of the student.

    The student must pay for:

    • Postsecondary courses taken at the university or private colleges that are not for both high school and college credit.
    • Postsecondary courses taken at any post-secondary institution that are comparable to a course offered at the school district.
    • Reimbursement for a course that is dropped or failed.
    • Transportation costs.
    • Incidental college fees (i.e., parking permits), the cost of consumables (workbooks, note-books, uniforms), equipment, and supplies.

    Can the number of college credits per semester be limited?

    The number of college credits per semester may be limited by the post-secondary institution, but the school district does not have authority to limit the number of credits in a semester.

    Are private school and home based students eligible to participate in Youth Options?

    Only public school students are eligible to participate in the Youth Options program. However, Wisconsin Lutheran College provides a similar program, Young Scholars, that will enable a private school or homeschooled student to take courses at WLC at the same reduced rate that the school district pays.

    Does Youth Options apply to courses offered during evenings or weekends? What about summer school?

    A student may take a postsecondary course during or after regular school hours as long as the course is offered during the high school's regular academic year. Youth Options does not apply to summer school.

    How many postsecondary semester credits equal one high school credit?

    Four. One semester credit offered by a postsecondary course is equivalent to 1/4 high school credit.