Faculty Profile: Simon Provan (2013)
Assistant Professor of Theatre
- M.F.A., Acting, University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., Dramatic Arts, University of Wisconsin-Parkside
As one who is passionate about sharing my love for all things acting, I am excited to be teaching performance at Wisconsin Lutheran College after having spent five years with the University of Wisconsin-Colleges. I have been a member of Actor's Equity Association since 2002 and continue to perform professionally as an actor both on stage and screen.
My wife, Sarah, is a dedicated medical assistant and we have two beautiful daughters, Grace and Bethany. Outside of theatre, I am a fanatic about soccer, being a fan of the Portland Timbers of MLS and Everton of the EPL. I grew up playing the sport with moderate success, originally going to UW-Parkside on a soccer scholarship. I now coach Bethany’s club academy team, Strike FC, and play in a few leagues during my sparse spare time. I also enjoy watching Grace ride horses with Knollwood Farm, where she has received numerous first place ribbons.
As a family, we love being amongst the peace and calm of Northern Wisconsin every summer, and enjoy fishing together, especially for bass. We are immensely blessed to be active members of Hope Church in Oconomowoc.
Beyond my work at WLC, I stay active as a professional actor so that I can bring to the acting studio knowledge of current trends in the business of theatre and film as well as what I learn from other working professionals. Projects include:
- December 2 and 3, 2013, I will be performing the role of Edwin Booth in the performed reading of IRVING AND BOOTH IN OTHELLO, a new play by Milwaukee actress Angela Iannone. The reading will take place at the 10th Street Theatre in Milwaukee at 7:30 p.m. both nights and is being produced by goats&monkeys theatre.
- I am featured as Young John in the Milwaukee Film Collaborative Cinema project LOVE YOU STILL. This short film recently premiered at the Milwaukee Film Festival. This film also was screened at the Milwaukee Short Film Fest and the Driftwood Film Festival in Mineral Point, WI.
- In the WELS-produced ROAD TO EMMAUS, I am seen as Cleopas, one of the two disciples Christ walked with after his resurrection. The Biblical featurette can be seen in its entirety at http://roadtoemmausmovie.com/emmaus.html.
- Along with Milwaukee actor Doug Jarecki, I am the other half of the duo that is featured in the current Mills Fleet Farm advertising campaign. You can find the commercials at the following links:
- I was recently seen as Donald in Jeff Daniel's APARTMENT 3A with Milwaukee's In Tandem Theatre, which was very well received by critics and audiences.
- Along with shows I've done with In Tandem Theatre, additional theatres I have worked with - either as a director or actor - include First Stage Children's Theatre, Acacia Theatre, Illinois Shakespeare Festival, Montana Shakespeare in the Parks, Theatre X, New American Theatre, Milwaukee Shakespeare Company, Huston-Tillotson University's Upward Bound Program, UW-Waukesha, UW-Marinette, UW-Sheboygan, American Players Theatre, and the Milwaukee Repertory Theatre.
- Principles of Acting
- Acting In Realism
- Acting in Classical Theatre
- Vocation in Theatre
- The Physical Voice
- Stage Makeup Studio
- Acting on Camera
- Actor's Equity Association (AEA/Equity)
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE)