Spring/Summer Commencement Ceremony
Date: Saturday, August 29, 2020
Time: 11:00 a.m.
Location: Franklin Field at The Rock Sports Complex, 7035 S. Ballpark Drive, Franklin, Wisconsin
Tickets reserved in advance are required for admission.
In order to follow group gathering restrictions and maximize the number of guests able to attend commencement, an outdoor venue was chosen for its larger capacity to physically distance seating and accommodate 1,500 guests. Franklin Field is home to the Milwaukee Milkmen, an independent professional baseball team. It is located about 20 minutes south of the WLC campus.
The complex offers two large, free surface parking lots that hold more than 1,000 vehicles and have many handicapped accessible spaces close to the stadium entrance.
Graduates will be seated six feet apart on the infield, facing a covered stage set-up just beyond second base. Guests will be seated in stadium seats behind the graduates. All participants and guests will be required to wear face coverings while at Franklin Fields.
COMMENCEMENT DAY SCHEDULE
- 8:00 a.m. - Stadium gates will open for guest arrival
- 10:30 a.m. - Graduates assemble to process to their seating at 11:00 a.m.
- 11:00 a.m. - Commencement ceremony begins
PLEASE NOTE: To allow enough time for all guests to pass through the gates and security (metal detectors), we are encouraging everyone to arrive early. The early opening of the gates will give sufficient time to walk from the parking areas, provide for appropriate physical distancing at the check-in and security areas, and allow you to locate seating that works best for your family. All guests must be seated by 11:00 a.m.
- Tickets for graduates and their guests: Graduates will be able to bring eight guests to the ceremony. Tickets will be handled electronically to provide a touch-less entry system. Graduates received a link to reserve their tickets via email on July 29.
All tickets must be acquired in advance; no tickets will be distributed or available at the gate. Before the event, graduates will receive a separate email with their electronic tickets to share with their family members. Families may enter the stadium together or individually, but everyone MUST have their electronic ticket ready to be scanned.
- Tickets for WLC students and the general public: To accommodate the family members and guests of graduates, there may be very few or no tickets available to others. The process for graduates to request tickets for their guests will not be complete until August 15. If you would like to request tickets (a maximum of two per person), please email Rich Mannisto with your name, email address, cell phone, and the number of tickets requested (one or two). You will be notified on August 17 if we can fulfill your request.
If your request is approved, you will receive another email before the event with your electronic tickets. All guests MUST have their electronic ticket available for scanning upon entry to Franklin Field. No tickets will be available on the day of the event, and no one will be admitted without a ticket.
CAP AND GOWN INFORMATION
Grads who received their cap, gown, and tassel in the mail must bring them to the ceremony. We will not have any extras available that day.
Grads who still need their cap, gown, and tassel have three options:
- Pick them up at WLC's front desk between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday, from August 3 through August 26.
- To have them mailed, follow instructions in the email that grads received on July 29.
- All remaining caps, gowns, and tassels will be available for pickup on August 29 at Franklin Field between 9:00 and 10:00 a.m.
CEREMONY REHEARSAL - NONE
There will be no rehearsal for this commencement ceremony. Graduates will receive additional instructions approximately one week before the event. We are planning the ceremony in such a way that faculty and staff will guide grads through the processional and ceremony details during the event.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEOGRAPHY
Due to the larger venue, the event will be broadcast on a video board on the third-base side. Also, the event will be live-streamed.
There will be little opportunity to take personal, up-close photos of graduates during the actual ceremony.
A professional photographer will take individual photos when graduates cross the stage. After commencement, photos will be available for online ordering.
Carry-ins: No food, beverages, or coolers are allowed to be brought into the stadium.
Concessions: We know many of you travel a great distance for commencement, and it can become a long day. The stadium's concession stands will be open starting at 8:00 a.m. with ballpark-type food and beverages available for purchase.
Guest seating: While everyone is required to have a digital ticket to enter the stadium, seating will be unreserved, general admission. The seating bowl has been configured to keep six feet of distance between groups. You will have your choice of stadium seats, as well as a few picnic tables and hi-top tables and chairs on the top level. Handicapped-accessible seating is available in several areas of the stadium. We ask that you not take up more space than you need, and remember to allow for six feet between your groups when choosing your seats. While the capacity of the stadium is 5,000, we are using only one-third of the space to allow for physical distancing to be observed. As an extra precaution, all seating has been disinfected with a unique chemical process to prevent any virus or bacteria materials from adhering to the seating surfaces. As a reminder, all seating is first-come, first-served.
Health precautions: If you are experiencing any symptoms related to COVID-19 (such as a fever, cough, or muscle aches, etc.), please refrain from attending this event. Note that you will be outside the entire time, in the August sun, so please remember your sunscreen and drink plenty of fluids.
Items to leave at home: For the enjoyment of everyone in attendance, the following items are not permitted in the stadium:
- Weapons of any kind, including firearms (weapons carried with a permit are also prohibited)
- Knives of any size
- Canes, chains, or sticks of any length (non-medical use canes)
- Fireworks or any explosives
- Illegal drugs
- Laser pointers
- Pets (except service animals)
- Noisemakers/air horns
Face coverings are mandatory for all graduates, guests, and participants. We will have appropriate moments built into the ceremony for graduates to remove their masks for official photos. A complimentary face covering will be available for guests and graduates after check-in, if you do not bring one with you.
Smoking is only allowed in designated areas at Franklin Field; signage and directions will guide you at the event.
Tailgating: We know that tailgating is a Wisconsin tradition; however, the City of Franklin prohibits any tailgating in parking lots. Please see our note above about concessions.
Weather: Since this is an outdoor venue with minimal overhead cover, every graduate and guest will receive a compact, clear rain poncho after proceeding through security. Umbrellas are not permitted inside the stadium. Please pray for a “rain-free” day!