Zoo Interchange Road Construction Project Updates
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is reconstructing the Zoo Interchange in western Milwaukee County; the project is expected to be completed in 2018.
Construction projects to improve traffic flow on alternate routes are under way on most major roads near campus, including Bluemound Road, Wisconsin Avenue, Watertown Plank Road, Hwy. 100, and 84th Street.
If you are traveling to Wisconsin Lutheran College's campus on Bluemound Road or to the Krauss-Miller-Lutz Outdoor Athletic Complex on Watertown Plank Road, you may encounter detours or delays. Please plan ahead, allow extra time, and drive carefully.
You are encouraged to frequently check WisDOT's Zoo Interchange project website and Facebook page for information. Traffic alerts from WisDOT can be found on Twitter.
The Office of Marketing & Communication will maintain this page throughout the project.
UPDATE: MAY 17, 2013
- The right lane is closed on eastbound Bluemound Road from 92nd Street to Honey Creek Parkway. There is no parking allowed on eastbound Bluemound Road in this area.
- A lane is scheduled to be closed on westbound Bluemound Road from 84th Street to 92nd Street. There is no parking allowed on westbound Bluemound Road in this area.
PREVIOUS UPDATES (still in effect):
- Watertown Plank Road traffic near Hwy. 100 has been shifted to the south side of the roadway until mid-summer. Also, Bluemound Road traffic near Hwy. 100 has been shifted to the north side of the roadway until mid-summer.
- All traffic has been moved to the southbound side of Hwy. 100 until late summer due to construction on the northbound lanes. Expect delays between I-94 and Watertown Plank Road on Hwy. 100 and on Bluemound Road in the construction zone.
- The exit ramp from westbound I-94 to northbound Hwy. 100 is closed until late summer. If you are driving to WLC on westbound I-94, exit at 84th Street or take US 45 northbound to the Bluemound Road exit. (Be aware of utility work and lane closures on 84th Street.) If you are driving to the Outdoor Athletic Complex, use the Watertown Plank Road exit from US 45 northbound.
- The US 45 northbound exit ramp to Bluemound Road is open. The temporary exit ramp to Wisconsin Avenue also is open. Reminder: 95th Street will remain closed to through traffic long-term; use 97th Street to access US 45 northbound and southbound from Bluemound Road.
- If your route to WLC includes Greenfield Avenue: Work is under way on the replacement of the Greenfield Avenue Bridge over I-894. Greenfield Avenue is closed from 106th Street to 97th Street until August.
- The freeway ramps entering and exiting I-894 at Greenfield Avenue also will be closed during the project, except for the northbound I-894 exit to eastbound Greenfield Avenue, which will remain open for all but two weeks. Expect freeway delays in the area as the bridge is demolished. See the Zoo Interchange project overview for details and alternate routes.