A campus lockdown might be initiated for a variety of reasons including natural disasters, criminal activity, or another potential threat. While most campus lockdowns will directly involve the college, Wisconsin Lutheran College may order a lockdown because of a dangerous situation that has occurred near its campus.
A lockdown directive may be issued because of a suspected threat or because of a warning that a dangerous event is about to take place. Though campus administrators make the final decision to initiate a lockdown, the procedure may be requested by the local or state police, fire department, or a member of the staff or community who has verifiable information about a threat.
Exact steps will differ depending on cause of the lockdown order (natural disaster, criminal threat, chemical spill, etc.) and will be referenced in the lockdown order issued through the Warrior Alerts Emergency System.
During a tornado for example, everyone may need to move to protected areas on lower levels, basements, or to interior rooms without windows.
During a criminal threat, students, faculty, and staff are instructed to proceed (RUN) to safety where they should lock the door and stay away from the windows. If an individual is outside when the lockdown announcement is made, he/she should run quickly into a building if one is very close or stay low to the ground behind a vehicle, tree, or other large object. If a dangerous person is present on campus, it's very important to avoid being seen (HIDE).
How to Respond to an Active Killer
If there is an accessible escape path, attempt to evacuate to safety. Be sure to:
- Have an escape route and plan in mind
- Flee to safety regardless of whether others agree to follow
- Leave your belongings behind
- Keep your hands visible (do not carry anything)
- Follow the instructions of law enforcement
- Do not attempt to move wounded people
- Call 911 when you are safe
If you cannot escape safely, secure the room you are in.
- You can either lock the door, wedge it shut, or create a barricade (tables, chairs, desks, etc.)
- Silence your cell phone. Hide behind large objects and away from windows.
- If possible, get everyone down on the floor and ensure that no one is visible from outside the room.
- Call 9-1-1, then Public Safety 414.443.8500.
- Advise the dispatcher on what is happening and exactly where you are.
- If you cannot speak, leave the line open and allow the dispatcher to listen.
- Remain in place until the police or a campus administrator that you know gives the ALL CLEAR notice (either in person or through the Warrior Alerts Emergency System).
- DO NOT respond to any voice commands until you can verify that they are being issued by a police officer. Unfamiliar voices may be the killer attempting to lure victims from their safe space.
The College will issue an "ALL CLEAR" message through the Warrior Alerts Emergency System when the campus community is safe for travel and normal activities.
As a last resort, and only when your life is in imminent danger, attempt to disrupt and/or incapacitate the active killer by:
- Acting as aggressively as possible against him/her
- Throwing items and improvising weapons
- Committing to your actions
Click here to watch the RUN.HIDE.FIGHT video on your mobile device.