English Language Institute at WLC
The English Language Institute (ELI) is open to students at or above the Intermediate Level who wish to improve English communication skills in preparation for further academic and career goals. Our purpose is to help students reach these goals by providing a solid foundation in the use of the English language.
Our program develops each language skill in progression—Listening, Speaking, Reading, Writing—followed by Advanced Integration, advanced practice in a combination of academic skills needed by students before entering a university classroom.
Please join us!
Students in the ELI:
- Will learn from native speakers and receive individual attention with personal needs in small classes
- May access WLC/MSOE facilities and campus events
- Enjoy regular cultural enrichment activities such as:
- Visiting theatres and museums
- Attending professional baseball, basketball or hockey games
- Dining at local restaurants
- Traveling to local attractions
- Participating in English Conversation groups
- Experiencing the diversity of American culture in the Upper Midwest and in the Milwaukee-Chicago metro areas
Challenging Academic Topics Include:
- Advanced grammar instruction and usage
- Understanding slang, idioms, and phrasal verbs
- Interpretation of current events and popular culture
- Building oral presentation skills
- Working to improve reading ability, speed, and comprehension