Faculty Profile: Simon Provan (2013)
Assistant Professor of Theatre
- M.F.A., Acting, University of Texas at Austin
- B.A., Dramatic Arts, University of Wisconsin-Parkside
As one who is passionate about sharing my love for all things acting, I am excited to be teaching performance at Wisconsin Lutheran College after having spent five years with the University of Wisconsin-Colleges. I have been a member of Actor's Equity Association since 2002 and continue to perform professionally as an actor both on stage and screen.
My wife, Sarah, is a dedicated medical assistant and we have two beautiful daughters, Grace and Bethany. Outside of theatre, I am a fanatic about soccer, being a fan of the Portland Timbers of MLS and Everton of the EPL. I grew up playing the sport with moderate success, originally going to UW-Parkside on a soccer scholarship. I now coach Bethany’s club academy team, Strike FC, and play in a few leagues during my sparse spare time. I also enjoy watching Grace ride horses with Knollwood Farm, where she has received numerous first place ribbons.
As a family, we love being amongst the peace and calm of Northern Wisconsin every summer, and enjoy fishing together, especially for bass. We are immensely blessed to be active members of Hope Church in Oconomowoc.
Beyond WLC, I stay active as a professional actor so that I can bring to the acting studio knowledge of current trends in theatre, film, commercial, and voice-over work; active relationships with other professional theatre artists to whom our students can get connected, and new ideas to developing the actor’s technique. Past and current projects include:
- Along with shows I've directed at WLC, I've also directed or performed with goats&monkeys, First Stage Children's Theatre, Acacia Theatre, Illinois Shakespeare Festival, Montana Shakespeare in the Parks, Theatre X, New American Theatre, Milwaukee Shakespeare Company, Huston-Tillotson University's Upward Bound Program, UW-Waukesha, UW-Marinette, UW-Sheboygan, American Players Theatre, and the Milwaukee Repertory Theatre.
- In October and January, I will be in production for THE RETURN with Salty Earth Pictures, playing the role of Yadid. This feature film is being directed by Steven Zambo, instructor of Digital Cinema & Media at WLC.
- Lead role as Young John in the Milwaukee Film Collaborative Cinema project LOVE YOU STILL. This short film premiered at the 2013 Milwaukee Film Festival, was also screened at the Milwaukee Short Film Fest and the Driftwood Film Festival in Mineral Point, WI, and will be screened in October 2014 at the Chicago International REEL Shorts Film Festival.
- In the WELS-produced ROAD TO EMMAUS, seen as Cleopas, one of the two disciples Christ walked with after his resurrection. The Biblical featurette can be seen in its entirety at http://roadtoemmausmovie.com/emmaus.html.
- Along with Milwaukee actor Doug Jarecki, I am the other half of the duo that is featured in the current Mills Fleet Farm advertising campaign. You can find the commercials at the following links:
- Other commercial credits include American Midwest Bank, Steinhafels, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, DISH Network, Wisconsin Milk Board, Aurora Bay Care, and others.
- Industrial credits include work for InSinkErator, Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, PDA Consultants, Bon-Ton Stores, Walgreens, amongst many others.
- Voiceover credits include Master Lock, Briggs and Stratton, Kohler, Wisconsin Special Olympics, Simplicity, The Brinkman Adventures, and many others.
- Principles of Acting
- Acting In Realism
- Acting in Classical Theatre
- Vocation in Theatre
- The Physical Voice
- Stage Makeup Studio
- Acting on Camera
- Actor's Equity Association (AEA/Equity)
- Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE)
- Christians in Theatre Arts (CITA)