Dr. Wendy Close
Associate Professor of Psychology
- Ph.D., Counseling Psychology (APA approved), University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
APA approved internship: University of St. Thomas Counseling and Career Services
- M.A., Community Counseling, Loyola University – Chicago
- B.A., Psychology, University of Wisconsin – Eau Claire
Psychologist, State of Wisconsin, 2010 to present (#2904-57)
- Student motivation
- Women's career development
Current Research Project
I am currently collaborating with researchers from Korea and Israel to better understand factors that mediate the impact of work and family conflict in men's and women's health and career development and to examine cross-cultural differences/similarities that exist in these processes.
- PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology
- PSY 300 Abnormal Psychology
- PSY 411 Experimental Psychology
- PSY 450 Social Psychology
- PSY 470 Psychological Testing
- American Psychological Association
– Division 17, Counseling Psychology
– Division 2, Teaching of Psychology
- Midwest Psychological Association
- Faculty Perspectives on Collaborating with Students on Research (2011-2012). Thelma Hunt Research Grant.
- Capstone Courses and Program Portfolios in Undergraduate Psychology (2011). Society for the Teaching of Psychology Promoting Partnerships Grant.
Close, W., & Solberg, V. S. (2008). Predicting achievement, distress, and retention among lower-income Latino youth. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 72, 31-42. Click here for abstract.
Howard, K. A., Close, W., Blustein, D. L., & Solberg, V. S. (2002). Career Development in the Schools: Connecting Self-to-School-to-Work. The Counseling Psychologist, 30, 705-725. Click here for abstract.
Garwood, M. & Close, W. (2001). Identifying the Mental Health Needs of Foster Children. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 32, 125-135. Click here for abstract.
Solberg, V. S., Close, W. M., Metz, A. (2001). Promoting Success Pathways for Middle and High School Students. In D. Atkinson & C. Juntenen (Eds.), Counseling Strategies. Newberry, CA: Sage.
Publications Under Review
Johnston-Rodriguez, S. & Close, W. (under review). A qualitative investigation of career barriers for low income diverse urban youth. Journal of Counseling Psychology. Click here for abstract.
Johnson, J. E., Kite, M., Close, W., & Tuskenis, A. (2011, August). Capstone experience in undergraduate psychology: Report from the Capstone Project team. Symposium conducted at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
Close, W. & Cinamon, G. (2011, August). Future constructions among American youth. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
Johnson, J., Appleby, D., Close, W., Kite, M., Marsh, P., Peterson, J., Tuskenis, A., & Wesner, K. (May, 2011). Preliminary report from the Capstone Project for Undergraduate Psychology. Symposium conducted at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, Chicago, IL
Close, W. (2010). Dear Dr. Rosenhan: Introducing Introductory Students to Psychological Research through Letter Writing. Poster session presented at the National Institute for the Teaching of Psychology, St. Petersburg, FL.
Close, W., Solberg, V., Boldt, J., Howard, K., Cinamon, R. (2008). Anticipated work family conflict and work family facilitation in college students. Poster session presented at the American Psychological Association, Boston, MA.
Close, Cinamon, Jones, Solberg, Howard, K. (2008). Multinational study of women's anticipated challenges in balancing work and family roles and health. Paper presented at International Counseling Psychology Conference, Chicago, IL.